Monday, October 22, 2018

Gerry Anderson, Derek Meddings, Century 21



Well, it's all happening, I've tried out some vehicle designs, and as part of my research, I'm googling a lot of Derek Meddings and Gerry Anderson photos. As usual, I get lost down the rabbit-hole and end up spending days looking at these amazing images, and all the studio scale model kits that fans are making. I'm reminded just what a huge impact these shows made on me and how exciting all the visions of the Century 21 Universe were.

Image result for zero x

So, the good bit about being the lead (aka only) artist on a project, is I get to decide the look of it, and this is exactly the look I want. I'd love to make this game look as though it was designed by Derek Meddings, Mike Trim and the other talented visionaries that gave that world it's unique look.

Image result for spv

The main problem is, I'm learning to appreciate the scale of their genius, as it's very hard to come up with designs that are anywhere near as cool. I think the main trick is that you have to tell your brain to try and do the wrong thing.

Perfect example: Thunderbird 2. Derek Meddings originally designed it with conventional wings, pointing backwards, but then, like some kind of punk rocker, flipped them to make them point the wrong way, and hey presto, the iconic TB2 was born! And if you see TB2 with the wings the normal way round, it looks totally wrong!
Image result for thunderbird 2 jr21

You have to configure your brain to go against convention. I love that, and some of that anarchy made it into SWIV, so I hope to inject that same attitude into SWIX. Below is a quick render of my design for the Heli. Needs some refinement, detail and decals etc. but I quite like it so far!

Image may contain: outdoor

No comments:

Post a Comment