Monday, October 1, 2018

SWIV Creator tinkering with new game

Hi there! I am Ned Langman. You may remember me from such games as Silkworm, SWIV, and Forsaken back in the day. SWIV, particularly the Amiga version, is still a well thought of game by some people, myself included!


Something I've wanted to do for years is make an up to date shoot 'em up in the same style as SWIV which I designed for the Amiga and Super Nintendo, way back in the early 90s.








Unfortunately (for me), the other half of the main development team, Ronald Pieket, went over to America to be all successful and suntanned.

He works at Insomniac Games and has recently worked on big titles like Ratchet & Clank, Mercenaries and Marvel Spider Man.


Ron is a coding genius and helped to make my graphics and ideas become a reality, and I can honestly say that working on SWIV and Silkworm were easily the funnest times I've had in the games industry.


While I've had many ideas bouncing around in my head since then, I could never code, so I wasn't able to develop anything, that is, until now. Thanks lovely, wonderful Unity!!

I have produced a number of games already using Unity, including a vector styled Asteroids clone called Space Junk, a Defender style shooter called Spaceman Dave, and a bunch of apps for young children based on my Flash website www.fungooms.com, the most recent being Litterbugs.



So, I feel confident enough now to be able to start on a new SWIV style game. It can't be a straight sequel or update because I can't be totally sure if I own the copyright anymore. But it will involve the cool feature of one player controlling a flying vehicle and the other controlling a ground vehicle. That's all I can say so far about the gameplay.

If anyone should stumble across this blog, I would be more than happy to hear people's wishes for content, and I'd really love to collaborate with someone, though as I live in the part of the UK which has the smallest game dev community, that is unlikely.



Anyway, follow this blog for updates and news about this as yet untitled project (I do have a title, but I'm not telling anyone yet!), and very, very soon I'll be able to post some pics of my work in progress!


No comments:

Post a Comment